His Majesty the Worm
His Majesty the Worm is a forthcoming fantasy adventure game designed for dungeon crawling.
This page is a dedicated space to share info about the game while it's being developed. Please ask questions! I'd LOVE to tell you about this project!
As a preview, you can check out the game's appendices as they are laid out. Each appendix is PWYW, with proceeds going to fund the game's art and development.
- Omphalos details the procedural generation of the ur-city at the center of the game's anticanon.
- Sorcery is a Sword Without a Hilt is a magic system with versatile, level-less spells designed specifically for the dungeon crawling milieu.
- Dungeon Seeds provides procedures and examples that simplify the daunting task of creating a mythic megadungeon.
- [Name This Alchemy Book] is a collection of alchemical subsystems that turns monsters and herbs into weird tools.
Wait, what's this game about?
His Majesty the Worm is a new-school game with old-school sensibilities: the classic megadungeon experience given fresh life through a focus on the mundanities and small moments of daily life inside the dungeon.
- Often-ignored subsystems, like food, hunger, light, and inventory management, are central to play and actually fun.
- The game has robust procedures. Characters adventure in the Underworld, rest in role-playing driven camping scenes, and plan long-term actions in the City at the center of the Wide World.
- The relationships between companions, called Bonds, powers the rest and recovery mechanic of the game. Role-playing literally drives the game forward.
- Tarot cards are used as a randomizing element. Combat encounters are handled with an action-packed subsystem that ensures that all players have interesting choices every minute of combat: no downtime!
We hope you will have fun with it.