Been using your Omphalos city and Dungeon seeds as inspirations for my own adventures. Today I bought the Alchemy book and man, everything you make is so beyond awesome! I am fully intending to buy a box set when the core set comes out.
His Majesty the Worm
A downloadable RPG
His Majesty the Worm
His Majesty the Worm is a forthcoming fantasy adventure game designed for dungeon crawling. It is a new school game with old school sensibilities.
This page is a dedicated space to share info about the game while it's being developed. Please ask questions! I'd LOVE to tell you about this project!
As a preview, you can check out the game's appendices as they are laid out. Each appendix is PWYW, with proceeds going to fund the game's art and development.
- Omphalos details the procedural generation of the ur-city at the center of the game's anticanon.
- Sorcery is a Sword Without a Hilt is a magic system with versatile, level-less spells designed specifically for the dungeon crawling milieu.
- Dungeon Seeds provides procedures and examples that simplify the daunting task of creating a mythic megadungeon.
- [Name This Alchemy Book] is a collection of alchemical subsystems that turns monsters and herbs into weird tools.
Wait, what's this game about?
At its heart, His Majesty the Worm is still about fighting dragons and exploring dungeons. The Game Master uses the tools in this book to create a megadungeon called the Underworld. The players create characters—called adventurers—to explore these dungeons in pursuit of their personal quests.
His Majesty the Worm is designed to make the “boring parts” interesting. It is a new-school game with old-school sensibilities. It zooms in on a slice of life inside the dungeon.
- Often-ignored subsystems, like food, hunger, light, and inventory management, are central to play and actually fun.
- The game has robust procedures. Characters adventure in the Underworld, rest in role-playing driven camping scenes, and plan long-term actions in the City at the center of the Wide World.
- The relationships between companions, called Bonds, powers the rest and recovery mechanic of the game. Role-playing literally drives the game forward.
- Tarot cards are used as a randomizing element. Combat encounters are handled with an action-packed subsystem that ensures that all players have interesting choices every minute of combat: no downtime!
We hope you will have fun with it.
- The Future of His Majesty the WormJan 01, 2022
- Alchemy in His Majesty the WormSep 23, 2021
- Name this Alchemical BookAug 15, 2021
- His Majesty the Worm Progress and ItchfundingJul 12, 2021
- Hey, uh, what's up with the name?Jun 01, 2021
- Dungeon SeedsApr 04, 2021
- The Ethos of Sorcery in His Majesty the WormMar 15, 2021
- Form-fillable Character SheetMar 05, 2021
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Thank you so much! Without exaggeration, I am deeply touched. I can’t wait to share the full game with you.
This project fascinates me and I'd love to run it at a con in October. Any chance there will be a playable version available anytime before that?
So happy to hear that you’re interested! I do not have a hard timeline at this point beyond “2022.” I am hopeful it could be before October!
I am getting dungeon seeds from a group pruchase. But because I am new to this site and dont know how things work, I am wondering how do I get the core rule book. Can anyone help me?
Hi there! There’s a very good reason why you can’t find it - the core book isn’t out yet! The books nested under this project are the appendices to the game. I’m releasing them each one at a time to slowly gather funds to pay for editors, artists, and layout designers for the core book.
By signing up for the mailing list, you can be sure that you’ll be alerted when the core book is finally ready.
gotcha. I understand now, thank you for explaining it to me. Do you have a projected release? I mean that you would like to be released.
Joined your list to get Dungeon Seeds. Great stuff.
Any ETA on HMTW beta?
Will resource management involve a risk die mechanic, or is the game totally card-based?
ETA is hard to say. Work on this stuff on the weekends. My goal with this slow release cycle is to accumulate liquid cash to pay artists, editors, and graphic designers.
The game is totally card based, no dice. Resource management mostly revolves around limited inventory space. The Meatgrinder tracks your turns each time you cross a threshold, eating up your light. Camping allows you to heal, but uses up your rations. I try to make the stuff you might handwave in another game actually fun by having you make a series of discrete, meaningful choices around what you carry and how you use it.
So excited to see tarot embraced in a TTRPG! I will be glued to this for more updates
I was initially drawn in due to the magic system and am continuously impressed the more I read. This system hits all the right buttons emphasizing interesting character moments and creative solutions! I can't wait to see more
Looks like torchbearer, Except (unlike Torchbearer) I can imagine actually being able to understand this game, so that's cool
Hmmm you got my curiosity. Keep it up! :)